It's not easy. At all. It's less of a hike and more like rock climbing, really. There are no ropes or cables and once you get past Siphon Draw the trail isn't an official trail. The hike begins in Lost Dutchman State Park, winds into the Tonto National Forest, and then goes on into the Superstition Wilderness. There were times when we had to really think about which path to take and which rocks to climb, but it all worked out and we ventured off course only a few times. Maybe. It's so hard to tell because, like I said, it's not a marked trail. There are a few painted dots here and there to use as guides, but for the most part you're heading straight up so you can't make too big of a mistake. As long as you're going up, you'll get to Flatiron eventually.
We arrived around 8 am so the sun was just coming over the mountain. We hiked in the shade practically the entire way up, which was cold at first but then very comfortable once we started the steeper climb. The hike starts out innocently as a steady grade towards the Superstitions.
At nearly a mile we entered the Superstition Wilderness.
We were maybe 45 minutes into it when we looked back and realized we had climbed pretty far already.
We reached Siphon Draw after 1.5 miles. It's a slick rock basin from the rain runoff. It's a cool little spot, but it's very steep and very smooth and very scary to walk on. I created my own switchbacks towards the bottom to about halfway up.
Eventually it becomes so steep that you just have to have faith in your shoes and go for it.
When you lose faith, you bend over and grab onto anything you can to pull yourself up or keep yourself from falling backwards.
After Siphon Draw, the rest of the way is hand-over-foot climbing on the rocks. Everything is natural but it's like it was made for man to climb it because there are plenty of notches and footholds. You simply find the best way for you and take it.
It really was quite a leg and arm workout, and it's so steep that I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. It's a challenge even if your cardio is fairly strong.
Near Flatiron, there's a twelve-foot rock wall that you have to climb straight up. I made it but was worried about how I would get down.
After two hours, we had traveled three miles and climbed over 3000 feet in elevation. It was worth every heart-pumping step. You have never seen a view like this after getting somewhere on your own two feet!
We relaxed, ate our sandwiches, and explored the top of Flatiron for about thirty minutes.
It was windy but very peaceful. And it felt like you could see forever from up there.
I was very nervous about going back down. I'm a slow descender, but it wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be. We took our time and took it slow. We are the presidents of the We Don't Want to Get Hurt Club, and we didn't care that it took us a half hour longer to get down then it did to get up there.
I don't know what he's pointing to...
I was just holding on so I wouldn't die.
Here we are back at Siphon Draw, and it looks even steeper from the top than it did from the bottom.
I went back to creating my own switchbacks and walking very, very slowly.
You can see Flatiron in the background here. Occasionally I'd turn around to remind myself how far I've gone and how far I've come.
After it was all over, we felt very accomplished. We got back to the car at 1:00 pm, so round trip took us five hours. That's a long hike for sure, but let me tell you.... I'd rather do this hike than a five-hour marathon. This was way more pleasant!
Siphon Draw to Flatiron is a breathtaking hike in more ways than one. I'd love to do it again sometime, but we're open to suggestions for new places to go and see.



























No comments:
Post a Comment