Well I woke up slowly, enjoyed my coffee, breakfast and shower, and then I decided I should go to the mall. My watch battery died last week and it's still under warranty (it's a miracle!) so I figured I could take it to get fixed and do a little shopping while I'm there. As soon as I dropped off my watch I began my shopping spree!
Except I'm not much of a shopper. I think it would be more fun if I had a lot of money. Or if I didn't care about having debts. I did, however, have a bunch of gift cards from the holidays that I slipped into my purse so I mostly headed for those stores.
Elizabeth received an American Eagle gift card for Christmas from Brian's brother. Over winter break we went shopping there, but she's only ten so the smallest size was too big for her. She opted to take the cash value and give the gift card to me, so today I decided I would cash in the card. I used to shop at American Eagle when I was in high school and college. Have you been there lately? Yeah, it's still for young people only I'm no longer young. It's like shopping in the juniors' department. I found some safe solid t-shirts in size medium. Thanks, AE! Vanity sizing that is not. I also bought Elizabeth a graphic t-shirt in an extra small. She'll grow into it eventually.
Next I headed for Bath & Body Works. The school staff generously gave the PTO board members gift cards last May. May? I should really get out more. Anyway, I sampled nearly every fragrance until my head almost exploded and finally settled on a few lotions and shower gels. I found a hand sanitizer and holder for Elizabeth's backpack, too. That will be a nice touch to her Easter basket next month.
After I retrieved my watch, I decided to check out Eddie Bauer. I always go there. I used to work at that store so sometimes I know the sales associates. Plus, EB has nice clothes that are kind of like the grown-up version of American Eagle's outfits. Huh. I hadn't thought of that before. Weird. It was my destiny all along, I guess. Anyway (warning: tangent ahead), I was looking around and this song came on and stopped me in my tracks.
I know this song. It's not on the radio, though. It's not popular. How do I know it? Is it Matt Wertz (that guy Holli and I went to see at MIM)? No. Why do I know this song?
Then I realized I had heard it only one other time before. It came on while my friend and I had been in the middle of a conversation, and I was trying to listen to the music, the lyrics, and her all at the same time. It wasn't working however, and she's one of the nicest people in the world so I didn't want to shush her with a violent, "Shhhhhhh." I should have known the song would find me again sometime, someday. And here it was today, in Eddie Bauer of all places.
It's a sad song but so pretty. It also sounds and looks pretty hard to play. And that is quite a fingernail, John Butler. Guess that's what I'm going to need because I'm really starting to dig this fingerpicking thing, but I have way too much more to learn first, I think. You're inspiring, though!
OK. Back to shopping.
After lunch, I went to Old Navy to freshen up my spring wardrobe and use some more gift cards. Mission accomplished. I got a dress and some tops and I'm home and ready to try them all on again with the stuff I already own. Loving it!
I don't shop often, but when I do I like to get a lot. That's probably why I liked back-to-school shopping so much when I was younger. And because new things feel nice!
Good therapy session today. Thanks to my generous family and friends, I'm not even out any money. What a sweet deal!
No comments:
Post a Comment