So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, adieu, 2013. You were mostly good. There were lots of fun family times at the beach, in Atlanta, at Disneyland, camping in Show Low, and adventures with friends like trips to Sea World and running the Ragnar Trail race. Brian and I also had a delightful getaway for my birthday last spring hiking Picacho Peak and Ventana Canyon together. I stepped down from some responsibilities at school, delegated more to the parents of our girl scout troop, and I found out what it felt like to breathe again. I was able to concentrate more on our family of four, our house, and create a more peaceful existence at home for all of us. Elizabeth broke out of her shell a little bit by performing in the school's drama club production, the orchestra, and participating in the spelling bee, while Matthew started something new with running club and disliking his music class less. I began my own second musical journey by picking up a guitar for the first time and eventually purchasing my very own. I also ran a marathon horribly but learned a lot in the process, and after a few months I was finally proud of the accomplishment of training for that beast and punching it in the face (even if it was after it punched me in the face at least 26.2 times).
The year wasn't all roses, especially for some of our family and a few of my close friends. GiGi broke her hip last December, so the first few months were a challenge for her and us as we anxiously watched and waited for her to recover fully. I don't know what we were all worried about; she's GiGi! There was some bad news, too. Two of my friends made discoveries that led them to divorce, and after 42 years of marriage Brian's parents are also divorcing, though amicably. I know there is disappointment, hurt, and pain for them and my friends, but new beginnings can be the start of something wonderful and I am hoping for the best for all of them in 2014 and beyond.
I have no resolutions or lofty goals for the new year. I made positive changes throughout 2013 so I plan to simply continue on the same road with those. It's time to celebrate another year on Earth and look forward to a new one of hope and possibilities. Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment