Thursday, January 2, 2014

It's a Classic.

I'm from Pittsburgh and I don't understand the games of football or hockey.  It's a travesty!  That's probably why I was kicked out and had to move to Arizona.  Kidding.  But only about that last part.  I honestly do not know much about either of those games except that you need to get a ball across a line or a puck in a goal.  Most Pittsburghers live and breathe Steeler football and Pens hockey, though.  Mario Lemieux is like the Roberto Clemente of my generation!  My dad likes the Pens so much that in retirement he has a job as an usher at the Consol Energy Center; he can go to their games and, subsequently, Justin Timberlake concerts for free.  (I'm not kidding.  He went to that concert last month. Ha!)  I've never been to a Steeler game, and I went to one Pens game when I was in college and a Phoenix Coyotes game when I first moved here.  Obviously, neither of those games made a big impression on me as I still don't completely get the game of hockey.

However, every January 1st I turn into a hockey fan and watch the Winter Classic.  The authenticity of playing hockey outside in the dead of winter is exciting.  I like to imagine that playing on a frozen lake as a child is how a lot of those NHL players got hooked on the sport, and the fact that they are going back to that--even if it's just for one day and they're getting paid a lot of money to do it--makes me feel like they genuinely love what they do.  They must.  Especially if they played in that weather yesterday.  Did you see it?  They stopped the game after only two and a half minutes of play to shovel the snow off the ice, and they had to keep shoveling the rink throughout the game.  Water bottles were freezing.  The ice on the side of the rink was melting from the heaters keeping the players warm on the sidelines.  Such drama!  There didn't even need to be a game to hold my interest.


But the game was good!  There wasn't much fighting or hitting. From what I could tell they seemed to be playing nicely together.  Among the fans there was team spirit as well as patriotism since Detroit was playing Toronto.  I was rooting for Toronto.  It's a much nicer city than Detroit, I'm assuming.  I've never been to Detroit, but I loved Toronto.  Except what is up with that crazy mayor of theirs?  Anyway....  Awww.  Detroit scored.  Oh, Toronto scored!  Toronto scored again!  Oh no, Detroit scored.  It's the end of the third period so what happens now?  Overtime.  Okay.  It's still tied.  Now what happens?  Another overtime?  No!  Something even more exciting--a shoot out!  Holy moly.  Does it get any better than a shoot out in a snowstorm with a windchill that makes the temperature feel like it's below zero?  Yes!  It's an Olympic year so they introduced us to the USA women's hockey team, and after the game they announced the men's team by having "little league" hockey players skate in wearing jerseys displaying the team members' names.  That was such a cute idea and those kids must have been thrilled!

I never heard of the Winter Classic until the game was played in Pittsburgh in January 2011.  Brian casually turned it on, and I was captivated.  Later, friends from Pittsburgh were posting photos from the game on Facebook.  It was outside at Heinz Field, under the lights, and who doesn't love Sidney Crosby?  (Though I don't know much about the NHL, I know people hate him.  I don't know why.  He seems like a really nice guy and even I have heard what a great hockey player he is.)


As an aside, I remember thinking the Pens looked so sharp sporting their Winter Classic uniforms in navy and light blue--so much better than that ugly black and gold combination.  I loved the look so much that when our kids' school (whose colors are navy, silver, and white) sold spirit wear the following year, it inspired me to suggest we go with light blue and navy.  I still love those colors together.

So yes, the Winter Classic is the one hockey game a year that I watch.  I can't name a player from yesterday's game, and still the only current hockey player I know of is Sidney Crosby.  That didn't dampen the excitement for me, but I still can't be considered a hockey fan.  Not again until January 1, 2015.

No comments: