Monday, November 4, 2013

Bless My Friends

It's hard being my friend, y'all!  Why?  Because I tend to worry about the dumbest things.  Really.  But I pick the best friends because they're quick to talk me down and show me in a nice way that I'm being ridiculous.  I like to think this goes both ways.  True friends listen, understand you, and love you for you.  Or just love you anyway.

Exhibit A: an unedited text conversation from last week with my friend Jennifer who is an MSW (that's a masters of social work) and understands people's behaviors, along with the reasoning behind them, better than anyone I know.  Her insights are gold.  I go to her with nearly every so-called problem that I better put in quotations.  She not only helps me understand myself, but she also has excellent insights on why someone would do something they've done.  The long and the short of it is that she has all the answers, yo.


Sara:  So if I had 2 cups of coffee every day for a week and none today, do you think my splitting headache today is from a lack of caffeine?  Am I an addict?  Should I stop drinking it except for Saturday mornings?

Jennifer:  Is it interfering with your family life or functioning?  If no, you are probably not an addict  There are many studies regarding the health benefits of coffee.  What leads you to think you shouldn't have it everyday?  (God, that sounded therapeutic!!)

Sara:  It's more like I'm afraid of becoming dependent on something, even if it's just caffeine (and not booze or nicotine or meds).

Jennifer:  It will definitely hurt your head if you become accustomed to it.  If I had more time we could explore your fear of dependence and addiction on a seemingly benign substance.  Doesn't that sound like fun?!?  Maybe we can have lunch soon.


See how she spins that to make me laugh and get over myself?  Love her.  In hindsight, I'm pretty sure I worried about that because I saw a commercial for a news report on "Pill Popping Moms."  Oh the power of suggestion.  Seriously though, I really don't want to be dependent on anything or addicted to anything, except maybe exercise because that's good for me and everyone around me.  Coffee tastes good so I drink it.  I don't need it, but if I start getting headaches from not having it then I'm going to need it.  Here I go again!

It's coffee.  It's fine.  Drink it everyday.  Yes, have some.

No comments: