Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Stitch Fix Fail

I tried Stitch Fix for the first time a little more than a month ago. I loved it. I told everyone I loved it. Some friends signed up for it because of my experience, and most were impressed, too. Only one friend sent everything back but that was because of price; she liked all the pieces and looked super cute in them. Because I, personally, had had so much fun and success the first time around, I ordered another fix and had high expectations. Well, you know what happens when you set your expectations too high.

Yep. Disappointment. Boo. But because I received credit for each friend referral ($25), I didn't lose any money. However, let me be clear. I would have much rather spent my credit on clothes that I love and make me look my best. These did not, and I will show you why I sent back the whole package.

Item #1: Pixley Eisenhower Strappy Top, $48
I like the print and the color, but this top did not fit me. I did not fill it out the way it is intended to be filled out, and the next size down was not available for an exchange. Returned.

Item #2 Mavi Aiden Rose-Colored Distressed Skinny Jean, $98
First of all, I've never paid $98 for jeans. Ever. And I really don't intend to, either. But I also wouldn't pay $10 for pants that make me look like I'm not even wearing pants. The color is the same as my skin tone, and I don't think these jeans are big enough for me, either. I was uncomfortable in more than one way. Returned.



Item #3: Le Sample Sanford Knit Top, $48
I guess this top fit okay, but the cut was strange and the color is nothing but blah. Off white and gray?That does not scream Sara. At all. This was not for me. Returned.



Okay, time to peel myself out of those skinny jeans!

Item #4: Papermoon Flayla Lace Detail Henley Knit tank, $38
This top made me look huge. Even Elizabeth (who took all these photos, by the way) said this isn't an outfit I should ever wear outside of our backyard. The top was bulky, boxy, and frumpy. No thank you. Returned.


Item #5: Papermoon Kasidy Geo Print Skirt, $58
My stylist informed me that I had pinned this skirt on my Pinterest board. Hmm. It appears I had. Right. Only it looked like this in the photo on Pinterest.


Isn't it fascinating how longer legs, slender arms, a better-fitting top, and a tan can completely change the look of a piece? Yeah.... Well.... I look like an old lady in this outfit, and when you add the neighbor's cat (shoutout to Ringo!) I look like all I have are my cats. That's not the look I was going for.


I tried to be open-minded, however, and followed the Stitch Fix protocol of matching this one and only new piece that fit me and looked decent with something I already owned. So I pulled a slimmer-fitting top in a much brighter color out of my closet and paired it with the skirt. This was better, but I still wasn't in love with the skirt. Returned.


This second fix was, sadly, a Stitch Fix fail. I didn't even find the style cards inspiring.


Rather than keep the skirt for free by using the rest of my credit, I decided to send it all back. I still have $55 left ($20 of which will be used for my next stylist fee), so I'm giving it another try. I updated my style profile and deleted all pins on my Pinterest board that I didn't absolutely love so as not to confuse my stylist in any way. I also requested "timeless pieces in classic cuts/fits that come in pretty colors/prints." We'll see what happens on April 5th.

No comments: