Monday, February 13, 2017

My Beats

Last week I spent more time in fifth and sixth grade than I normally like to. That admittedly is not my favorite age group, but it just so happens that some of the teachers I like the most teach those grades. I hate to say no to them, so I didn't. But as expected, somewhere between the first and second hour I end up wishing I was anywhere but there because twelve-year-olds' attitudes are not fun to deal with.

One was upset another one sneezed in her eye. Two kids were in cahoots to get out of having to do anything at all that day. Someone tattled that someone else was passing notes. I told them how I caught a note being passed around in fourth grade the day before and I read the (innocuous) note aloud and wouldn't feel bad about doing that again." Five minutes later, a girl brings up a note she found on the floor. Uh huh. Right. Know what it said? 

I am stupid. ha ha

Well maybe I am, but I wasn't about to read that note aloud. Little poops. And no substitute ever became cool this way, but if I can't teach them math or reading while I have them for six hours then I may as well point them in the direction of broadening their horizons:

Sixth Grade Girl: Mrs. Nakai, when you're in the car what's your jam?

Me: What?

SGG: I thought that would be what you'd say? Like I wouldn't ask you, "What's your beats?"

Me: I like lots of music, but I don't think you'd recognize any of it if I said it.

SGG: You mean like the Beatles?

Me: No. Everyone like the Beatles. That's hardly a way to define your sense of musical style. Do you know Tom Petty?

SGG: No.

Me: U2?

SGG: No, I don't know Tom Petty.

Me: (laughing) No, U2 is a band.

SGG: Oh. Yeah, I don't know them.

Me: I also like The Cars. And The Police. And The Doors.

SGG: Are you making those up?

Me: No. You should probably shake up your playlist. And also finish your math paper.

No comments: