Wednesday, June 8, 2016

What a Chore

As we were coming home from the library this afternoon, the kids and I stopped at the mailbox. I handed Matthew the key and asked him to get the mail. He used to love the privilege of doing this job, but today he said, "You should start paying me for this, you know." At first I was taken aback by his rudeness. Then I decided to see if I could make his attitude work for me somehow.


Me: I will gladly pay you $5 a week if you pick five things to do to help out around the house and do them without complaining or me having to remind you to do them.

Matthew: Ok! I will...

Me (noticing Elizabeth is already into this idea): No. When we get home, you write them down. We'll review them together and sign a contract.


I admit that my kids don't get an allowance and don't have any set chores that they are expected to do. I've tried chore charts several times. The kids get excited about it for a bit, but then it turns into more work for me with holding them accountable, marking stuff off, and divvying out coins and such. I can't be bothered with nonsense. This five chores for five dollars idea sounds simple enough, and both kids agreed.

It will come as no surprise that Elizabeth came home and wrote down five chores. She's planning to set the table for dinner, dry the dinner dishes, take out the recycling basket daily, take the trash and recycling bins to the curb weekly, and clean the playroom every Monday. We both signed it, and she's on her way to earning this week's prorated paycheck of $3.

Matthew also quickly picked up a pen and paper. Only his list of chores looked quite different:

1. Take out trash.
2. Play computer to keep quiet.
3. Drink water.
4. Build Legos
5. Watch Good Mythical Morning

I read his list and stared at him.


Me: Matthew, only one of these items is truly a chore.

Matthew: You're always telling me to be quiet and drink water!

Me: Yes, but what are some other things that I ask you to do on a regular basis?


Well that had him stumped. I told him to really think about it. He's sleeping on it. I guess my chore tomorrow is helping him figure this out.

2 comments:

Sue said...

OK I'm still laughing at Matt's list! He is so funny! This sounds like a great idea to make some money and get some chores done. I think E needs some help with the playroom on Mondays! Just a thought.

PapPap said...

Just to be honest, I am still laughing. He nailed it. They were chores for him. But I have confidence you will help him get a better perspective. I love my grand kids.