Friday, April 29, 2016

A Sub's Mental Health Day

Fourth quarter is a long quarter. There are not many holidays, the kids are going nuts as summer approaches, and the teachers are burned out. A common teacher coping strategy is to take mental health days, so I've been working quite a bit lately. This was a full week.

Today, I had a hard time in third grade. It's a difficult class. Some of the students are very chatty. Some of the students are very lazy. Some of the students are very defiant and talk back. I'm not good at dealing with any of those things and being forced to face the tough combination of all three was too much to bear. In a class of nineteen, there were about two or three students who worked hard. For that reason, I wasn't my best, and sometime during Fun Friday (which, I have to say, for a teacher there's nothing fun about Fun Friday), I just gave up. Thankfully, a late afternoon fire drill ended it all earlier than expected, and we parted ways five minutes later for P.E. class.

I spent nearly the entire week at Matthew's school. Though it's convenient, there are several factors that cause me to sometimes feel a strong need to get away from that place. So I'm looking forward to "going on vacation" and spending four days in the library at my second favorite school in the coming days. Library is a treat. After today I feel it's one I deserve. These days away are considered my mental health days.

No comments: