Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Year Ago

Last year on this day, after about two and a half hours of sleep, I headed out the door on my first substitute teaching assignment. It was for a first grade teacher at a school I'd never been to before, and I spent the day alone with twenty-five six year olds. I arrived an hour earlier than I had to, switched my emotional state from frantic to calm nearly every moment, and did an awesome job of pretending to know what the heck I was doing. Whether that impresses you or not doesn't matter. I impressed and surprised myself, and I'm happy I decided to give subbing a try "for two days."

I had no idea I'd love it so much. The flexibility is fantastic; if the job description doesn't seem too desirable, then I decline with the push of a button. The hours and work days are often perfectly aligned with my own kids' schedules. I also truly enjoy the challenge and excitement of doing something different nearly every day. I learn or relearn something daily, and the kids are usually fun. I love when they seem happy to see me in the hallways or even outside of school. The pay is decent, and I feel productive and have a strong sense of accomplishment at the end of most days.

I don't know what prompted me to give this a try, but I sure am glad the thought popped into my head. It's been a good year.

1 comment:

PapPap said...

You have done well, Coach. I knew you would.