I also ran into my archenemy. Not really, but if I had one of those he would be it.
Not even a half mile into my hike, I came around a bend and saw two men. I know that guy went through my head and before I knew it my mouth was saying, "Are you John Huppenthal?" (He's the, thankfully, former Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of Arizona.) I am not a fan, along with many other people, and believe he was doing his best to dismantle the public education system in our state.
John Huppenthal: Yes, I am. And you are?
Me: Oh I'm just a parent in Chandler. (Just a parent? Come on, Sara! Way to make him feel like he's so much more important that you.)
I carried on walking as he spouted out awards our school district has won and how fantastic our superintendent is. Yawn. I already knew that, John. Oddly enough, this isn't the first time I've run into him around town. The other time, I really told him what I thought of him and his politics, and I think I surprised my father-in-law who stumbled upon our conversation at a children's train park. I feel this man let our students down in a lot of ways and as an elected official he should know that people are unhappy with his work, or at least that I was.
Yesterday, I could have said something snarky but I didn't. He's no longer in charge of anything so there's nothing I need to say to him anymore. He was stopped there, still talking, but I hiked on and called back, "Yes. It's a strong district. It doesn't matter how many choices there are. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else."
It was so satisfying.
I carried on walking as he spouted out awards our school district has won and how fantastic our superintendent is. Yawn. I already knew that, John. Oddly enough, this isn't the first time I've run into him around town. The other time, I really told him what I thought of him and his politics, and I think I surprised my father-in-law who stumbled upon our conversation at a children's train park. I feel this man let our students down in a lot of ways and as an elected official he should know that people are unhappy with his work, or at least that I was.
Yesterday, I could have said something snarky but I didn't. He's no longer in charge of anything so there's nothing I need to say to him anymore. He was stopped there, still talking, but I hiked on and called back, "Yes. It's a strong district. It doesn't matter how many choices there are. I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else."
It was so satisfying.
1 comment:
I am a bit surprised he didn't say "oh you again?" But I am proud of you that you took the opportunity to give candid feedback to someone influential. I have a favorite saying "if you are not part of the solution you become part of the problem!" Proud of you Coach.
Post a Comment