Friday, July 18, 2014

Peace, Peace, Peace

That's my new mantra. I've found myself repeating it in my mind (and sometimes out loud) nearly every day this week. It's working. Well, it's helping. Most of the time.

I have a bad habit of taking things too seriously, getting anxious, and losing my wits when under pressure. I really have to stop all that because there's a lot going on that's really good and I'm focusing on the wrong things. I need to pay attention, be mindful, and be present instead of allowing my mind to fly off into some land of insecurity and worry when I'm in uncomfortable situations, especially now that the start of the school year is upon us.

Oh man, I have to speak in front of a room full of teachers. They don't even care what you're saying so don't sweat it.

Oh man, what if I run into the one, two, or ten teachers who intimidate me or make me nervous? Relax. They won't even notice you, what you say, or what you do.

Oh man, I have to greet these parents tonight? I know people but not everyone. If I don't know them do I ask if they're new to the school? How insulting would that be if this is their fourth year here? You gotta figure that if you don't know them, they probably don't know you. And if you haven't seen them in four years, chances are you won't see them again until next year's Meet the Teacher night.

Oh man, why did I say that? or Why didn't I say or ask that? or Geez, Sara. Get a hold of yourself! Well that's a good one. Yes, get a hold of yourself, woman.

Just breathe, calm down, and repeat "peace, peace, peace" until they all think you're nuts. Better yet, accept that you're human--just as everyone else is--and be yourself. Only be the version that's brave, confident, and fearless. Yes. Do that.

No comments: