Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Who Do You Think You Are?

At school drop-off this morning, I couldn't believe what I saw:

I pulled all the way up to the canopy like we're supposed to and my kids and my neighbor's kids got out of my car.  I was first in line and just about to pull forward when a car passed me and every other car in line (in the no passing zone) and parked her car right in front of mine.  She then exited her car, opened the back door for her child, helped her get her backpack on, and gave her a kiss.  Then she looked me in the eyes as if to say, "Yeah that's right.  You wait.  I'm so much more important than you."

A false sense of entitlement is one of my biggest pet peeves.  Why does she feel the rules don't apply to her?  Why does she feel she is any more special than the rest of us?  Why did she pass all the cars to get to the front?  Why did she hold up the entire line without a care in the world?  Why does her daughter get to enter the school on the north side while every other student uses the front entrance?  She's in kindergarten; parents are supposed to walk kindergarteners to the playground.  What makes this woman and her daughter above the rest of us?

Nothing.  Nothing at all.  And I really want to tell her that.  If given the opportunity, I may.  Rules are for everyone, and these aren't rules just for the sake of having rules.  They are put into effect to not only make traffic flow more efficiently at the school's two busiest times of day, but also to keep our students safe.  We follow these rules for her daughter, for my kids, for everyone's kids.  No one is above them.  What's more, she doesn't appear to have any common courtesy.  She's obviously a young mother, but that's no excuse.  You can learn anything at any age and being kind and courteous is an important part of life.

She's not the only one.  I've seen other parents who seem to feel above it all, too.  Perhaps the school needs to post this sign along the drop-off lane to remind everyone of their place in line and life.  Everyone needs to play by the same rules.

No comments: