I made my first attempt at opinion-writing on Facebook today. Last time. It's such a lost cause, and it nearly ruined my day because I couldn't get it out of my mind. A friend posted this article regarding the most recent school shooting and her only comment was, "Interesting." Well if that's not an invitation for people to speak their minds I don't know what is. So I jumped aboard, probably against my better judgement.
The article claims that the incident lasted "only" 80 seconds because an armed, trained sheriff's deputy was at the school. I am not a fan of guns, and it was like I couldn't stop myself from typing. I was the first to comment, and the complete unedited thread is listed below with my reactive thoughts in italics.
Me: It was still 80 seconds too long. Guns don't belong in schools. I feel we should focus on keeping guns out of the hands of those who should never have them (which in my idea of a perfect world would be everyone).
A Guy from Texas: Makes the saying, "Peace through superior firepower" a little clearer. In this case, the deputy might not have been as well armed but he was well trained and the shooter knew it. As far as a 'perfect world' where everyone is unarmed, I guess everything would be free and we could call it Candy Mountain.
Huh? No. I think we should still call it Earth, sir.
Lady Whose Profile Pic Shows Her Aiming an Assault Rifle at Something: Proof right there's that someone trained and armed does save lives!!! I'd feel very comfortable carrying at school knowing it could save lives... Until I'm allowed, I just pray this sort if thing doesn't happen where I work!
Oh my goodness. Your photo terrifies me.
Me: This argument makes the assumption that the shooter killed himself only because of the deputy, but no one can say for sure that's why he took his own life. If he knew the trained, armed deputy was there, shouldn't that have been enough of a deterrent to not bring the gun there in the first place? Now if the deputy had drawn his gun the moment he saw the shooter pull out his own gun and then shot him in the arm so that the shooter's gun fell from his hands before he was able to fire any shots and then mental health experts were called immediately to get the shooter the help that he needs...well then I might be more persuaded to believe that the only answer to gun violence is more guns.
My Friend: Everyone has their own opinion about this. I look at the statistics and see that places that allow citizens to arm themselves have less crime than places that try to disarm its citizens. I tend to lean towards allowing trained individuals to carry concealed weapons, but I respect anyone who has a different opinion than mine. I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.
Me: It doesn't matter if we agree. But our lawmakers should make a decision one way or another otherwise this is going to keep happening. Whichever side they choose, I hope it stops the madness.
I wanted to add, "Please don't shoot me with your concealed guns. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. People shouldn't shoot people." Then I had to change my own profile pic because it was of my kids. I'm probably never going to sleep again. See? The wrong people are afraid of guns!
No comments:
Post a Comment