Friday, November 15, 2013

Thank You Note Friday

We're halfway through November, the month in which we're reminded to be thankful, so I thought I'd do a little thank you post.  But not in that hokey Facebook status way.  Ick.  You know what I'm thankful for?  This:


This viral note has prevented the overwhelming amount of daily posts that have graced our news feeds for the past few Novembers.  Aww, that's sweet but we figured you loved your family.  At least we hope you do.  Instead of telling us, you should tell them how you feel.  It means more in person and through your actions.  Also, are they not sitting right next to you?

Yes, I'm thankful and grateful and appreciative of my loved ones, our health, and our fortunate and comfortable lifestyle.  But do you want to read about that?  I didn't think so.  It's more fulfilling to reflect on the things for which you are thankful instead of hearing others', and I think we should all do more of that more often.

That said, a little humor is always welcome around here.  It's Friday and, as every Jimmy Fallon fan knows, it's time for thank you notes--when we thank all things random! Every year I wanted to somehow incorporate this bit into Teacher Appreciation Week, but no one knew what I was talking about and the teachers probably don't stay up late enough to watch it so they wouldn't have gotten the joke, either.  Whatever.  He makes me laugh and I know we could have come up with some pretty funny teacher thank yous.  An opportunity missed.  Darn it.

Maybe I can give it a try here.  Yes.  Let's see if this works.  Use your imagination to picture me writing my thank you notes to a few things that make me happy.  Pretend I'm mimicking Jimmy's emotional intensity and am being accompanied by peaceful piano music.  I'm not as clever or funny though, which is why he has a television talk show and I have this blog that, like, ten people read.  Here goes....

Thank you, Starbucks, for being the incentive that I think a lot of my friends use to workout with me every week.  Without you, my Saturday mornings would be lonely.  So lonely.

Thank you, sweet potatoes, for being nutritious yet yummy enough for my children to eat in any form I prepare you.

Thank you, air mattresses, for quality, restful sleep on family camping trips as well as Ragnars, even those trips in which we run into rattlesnakes or sleep for only three hours next to encroaching neighbors who listen to death metal.  Respectively.  (Thankfully.  I think.)

Thank you, duct tape, for making this year's Girl Scout holiday bazaar crafting session pleasant and burn-free.  Oh yeah...a big sarcastic thank you for all the burns, hot glue.

Thank you, person who invented the half-marathon, for realizing that running 26.2 miles is absolutely ridiculous.

Thank you, Pinot gris, for being grown, harvested, and fermented into one glass of bliss.

Thank you, Legos, for providing a creative outlet for my children that makes them happy (even though our storage wars often frustrate me and I call you bad names).

Thank you, tech fabrics, for allowing this sweaty person to exercise outside when it's as hot as Hades in the summer.

OK.  That's good for now.  I will hold some for next year.  Check in next week when Justin Timberlake guest co-writes and we perform the History of Rap, Part 42.

No comments: