Thursday, November 7, 2013

Awww Come on, SeaWorld!

Just when I was feeling good about our fun, educational, safe, and successful Girl Scout trip to SeaWorld, Blackfish has to come out.  When I heard about this documentary/expose, I meant to watch it on CNN but forgot.  So I went to the movie's website and watched the trailer a few days ago.

Oh.  Dear.

You know, everyone's aware that whales are migratory animals.  It doesn't take a marine biologist to realize that the pools at SeaWorld are not as big as oceans, so it's probably not the best place for orcas.  If you're like me though, whether anyone tells you this or not, you believe that those whales had been sick or in trouble somehow and were rescued by SeaWorld as they are known to do a lot of ocean conservation projects.  Besides, I'm sure the giraffes at the Phoenix Zoo don't belong on that "savanna" any more than the orcas belong in those pools.  Well...that's up for debate, I suppose.

I haven't even watched the movie, and after seeing the trailer I don't know if I'll be able to.  This movie was brought to my attention merely three weeks after our great trip and I thought, Oh man.  What bad timing.  Actually, it's quite good timing because thank goodness I didn't know about it before we went as I likely would have cried my way through that park  And when they explained that the flopped over dorsal fin of one of the whales was genetic, I might have stood up and said, "No, it's because he hasn't been able to migrate and strengthen his muscles and he's probably depressed about being forced to do pet tricks for humans all day long, day after day.  Stop lying, SeaWorld!"  I really don't think I would have been able to keep it in.

I don't know if this movie is animal activism at its best or worst, so that's why I want to see it for myself.  I've heard former SeaWorld trainers play an integral part in the storytelling so one would believe that it would show an accurate account of what goes on there.  Though I don't think the issue is that SeaWorld is unkind to their animals; they treat them with affection and great care.  The issue lies in whether the practice of capturing (which they did a few times about thirty years ago, but they now breed them) and keeping such large animals in relatively small pools is ethical when it seems to go against almost everything in their nature.

Blackfish sounds sad and depressing, but I like to be informed.  We should all be informed.

No comments: