Friday, May 24, 2013

My Airstream Dream

Last night, we were all watching "How It's Made" on the Science Channel, and we learned how Airstreams are made.  It rekindled my obsession with this American icon.  Sometimes I wish I lived in an Airstream.  No.  Not really.  I don't want to have to live in an Airstream, but I would like to own one some day.  I want that pretty bad, actually.  I don't know what it is about those slick, retro chic, aluminum trailers, but I'm in love.  They're so simple and classic.  Hey, kind of like me.  I may be more in love with the lifestyle that the brand represents (like how I'm a fan of Subaru and Eddie Bauer) more than the actual trailers, but so what?  I want to live the life of an Airstream owner!  I want to spend lots of time outdoors in picturesque national parks, hike during the day, get around on my bike, enjoy meals off the grill or campfire, and sleep in peaceful spots with stunning views.  (By the way, if you're ever looking for someone to market to, I'm your woman.)

Though tent camping is completely fine for our family right now and we're looking forward to our trip next month, when the kids leave the nest and it's just Brian and me and we can do what we want and go where we want whenever we want (that's happening someday, right?), we're getting an Airstream trailer...and something to tow it. Brian usually comes up with the big decisions, but I'm not budging on this one.

Next summer we'll celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.  Like we did at ten years, we're going on a trip (another decision I'm not budging on!), and I have it all planned out.  We'll spend a few days hiking and enjoying the peacefulness of Sequoia National Park and a few relaxing days in Santa Barbara.  I don't know where we'll stay at the park--maybe the lodge or maybe we'll make it more adventurous and camp.  I'm fine either way.  When in Santa Barbara though, we're staying at the Santa Barbara Airstream Autocamp.  For sure.  Apparently, there's a whole lot of stuff I'm not budging on.  It may be too soon to own our Airstream, but we can live the dream for a few days at least in a swanky California beach town.


No comments: