Friday, February 27, 2009

Moving On....Plus a Contest!

As I've mentioned, from December through February I'm up to my neck in lemons. But from early February through April, my grapefruit tree is creating yet another bounty that I can hardly keep up with. Maybe you're looking at the above photo and thinking it doesn't look too fruitful. Well, it seems grapefruit are a little sun-shy. They like to hide underneath the leaves. See below.
Incidentally, my grapefruit tree has yet to be named. Would you like to name him/her? I'm holding a contest for its naming rights and the prize is a bunch of fresh grapefruit from the tree you just named! Creativity is encouraged. To enter, please leave a comment on this post by midnight on March 6th.
I thought it was hard to be creative with lemons; it would seem you can make even less with grapefruit. (Way to promote the contest, Sara.) The juice is very tasty and very healthy, unless you're taking any medications because grapefruit and some drugs don't work well together. I decided not to buy orange juice for a while. We're going to have grapefruit juice each morning instead. Because it's just as good for us and it's free. And none of us is taking any medications so it's cool. Here's me using my KitchenAid citrus juicer attachment. Does this photo make anyone else think of Oobi?

These grapefruit are super juicy. In comparison, twelve lemons yield one cup juice. I juiced twelve grapefruit and got six cups of juice. Look how pretty!

7 comments:

Marie said...

That is soo cool! I eat a half of grapefruit every morning! Right now in my backyard I have....well...nothing. Lots of brown. Lots of leftover leaves from last year. As for a name....I am not too creative and I must say that I watch The Office but not 30 Rock so I can not think of a clever name to go with your lemon tree. So I will go with..Maida...which means shy girl. You know....since they are shy and hide from the sun. I know...lame...but that is all I got. :)

Team Thompson said...

Ok...because of your contest I can write a paper now on Grapefruit. :) After doing some research I think you should name the tree DESERAY (a name derived from the word desire). This is because of the following...

"The grapefruit is a subtropical citrus tree grown for its bitter fruit which was originally named the "forbidden fruit" of Barbados

The term "forbidden fruit" is a metaphor that describes any object of desire whose appeal is a direct result of the knowledge that it cannot or should not be obtained or something that someone may want but cannot have." Source: wikipedia

You have a beautiful tree blooming so a beautiful name should describe her. You are lucky that you can desire your forbidden fruit and partake in it. :)

Can you tell it is late and I am exhausted and having fun playing on the Internet. :)

John Bee said...

How about " Gilbert Grapefruit"

Unknown said...

I could have sworn i already responded to this...

How about Shiloh...shy for short or Gertie just because I think its a funny name that matches...Gertie the Grapefruit (reminds me of the Munch Bunch).

Did you ever remember reading the Munch Bunch books in grade school? Tom Tomato, Liz Lemon, Spud, etc...? I swear, no one remembers these books but me! Just thought you might remember since we are the same age.

Sara said...

You guys are coming up with some great names! Thanks for your creativity!

Melissa, I don't remember the Munch Bunch. Sorry. :) My souces tell me the lemon was named Lucy, though. Ha Ha

Jennifer said...

Heather suggested Ruby. And I know I can get some grapefruit whether I win or not. That's how connected I am.

Carie said...

Juicy! That's my choice:)