Monday, October 27, 2008

No Cake Walk

Elizabeth's elementary school is having their annual Fall Festival next weekend. The kindergarten and kindersteps classes are responsible for the Cake Walk booth. I was really looking forward to this because it's such a great excuse to make lots and lots of cakes and cookies. But today, she brings home the flyer asking for donations and everything has to be store bought. Remember when our moms sent homemade cupcakes to school on our birthdays? This is just one more reminder that I was born in the wrong era.

I wish a lot of things, but I really wish there weren't so many wackos out there that we can't bake our own cakes and cookies for our school's cake walk. I guess I'll have to go buy an uninspired, bland-tasting, over-frosted cake from the grocery store because our little town doesn't even have a decent bakery. Or maybe I'm wrong and just haven't found it yet. If you know of one in Chandler, please share. Otherwise, I'll be paying a visit to the bakery at Safeway within the next week. Boo.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, man! That stinks! I feel the same way...there is NO WAY a store bought cake can even compare :( Unless its a REALLY good bakery which are so hard to find! Maybe you'll find one!! OR better yet...open one ;)

Just Another Mom said...

Riccobono's on Chilton Street (off AZ Ave) is a decent Italian bakery. Their cannolis are good and I've had some of their bread and cookies.

Sara said...

Thanks, Valerie. I looked up their website and I'll definitely stop in there next week. It's conveniently located near Matthew's preschool so if I like what I see (and taste!) I might even become a regular. :)