Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Whatever, Martha!

Have you heard of this new show on Fine Living Network? Martha Stewart's daughter, Alexis, and her friend Jennifer watch tapes of Martha's old shows from the early 90's and offer commentary. I was looking forward to the show because who can resist digs at Martha Stewart? Well, while the show has its moments, it was generally a big let down. Maybe if it was anyone else poking fun at Martha it would be funnier. And I'm not saying that because she's her daughter (although making fun of your mother on national television is a little mean). Alexis seems a little snobby, self-absorbed, and critical of everything and everybody. She just doesn't seem like my kind of person. And having a laugh at Martha's expense is one thing because Martha claims this whole thing was her idea, but I don't think they should be laughing at Martha's guests. When these guests appeared on her show, they didn't sign up to be ridiculed fifteen years later.

I think the premise of the show is fun but it needs some work. They need to show more of the Martha clips and offer more comments. Alexis and Jennifer seem to go off on their own little tangents while the Martha show is rolling and they're missing opportunities for more humorous comments--which is what the how show is all about. And the last five minutes or so? They talk about something not related at all to Martha Stewart (gym locker room behaviors?). Why?

That said, it's worth it just to see how far Martha Stewart has come, gone, and come back. So, if you have a chance to watch it, check it out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, now I feel bad, bc i LOVED it! Thought it was totally funny! See, maybe then you wouldn't like their radio show. I think that's why I like the radio show bc they just talk about random things and bitch and Alexis just says whatever she wants. Sorry you didn't enjoy it :(

Sara said...

I didn't totally hate it. I really like the show's concept. If Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were doing the commentary, it would be awesome.

Oh, I already know I wouldn't enjoy the Whatever radio show. I'm just not interested in what Alexis thinks about anything. And if she didn't bake and put things in cute packages, I would never read her blog. :)

Sara said...

And why would you feel bad? My opinion means nothing and only you and like three other people have heard it. :)