Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pinkberry. Take Two.

My first attempt to make the famous Pinkberry frozen yogurt at home didn't go so well (see this post for details), but my friend Jennifer, who is always looking out for me, told me to try this recipe. I did and it made me very, very happy. Look how thick it is! The consistency is totally opposite of my first try. It's delicious, but there's just one problem. It's so good that I could easily eat the entire batch in one sitting. And that's obviously the problem.

The recipe calls for Greek-style yogurt, but the cook's notes are very specific about using whole-milk yogurt. I was shopping, found the Greek yogurt, and put it in my cart. The only words I noticed on the carton were "Greek" and "Plain." It wasn't until after putting the concoction into the ice cream maker and rinsing out the yogurt container that I noticed "11 g" next to "Total Fat." Naturally, my eyes went straight to "Saturated 7 g." And that's per half cup serving. Yikes! Pinkberry this is not! For those not in the know, Pinkberry makes a point of making their customers aware that their original frozen yogurt is fat-free. I am making a point to let you know that while this frozen yogurt rivals Pinkberry in taste (better!), it falls way short in being considered a reasonably healthy alternative to ice cream.

Look at how thick, rich and creamy it is! Pinkberry Take Three will be made with non-fat, plain Greek-style yogurt.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad that all worked out for you. Now could you solve one of my most pressing concerns? Just pick one.

Jennifer said...

Sorry to comment again (wish I could just edit my earlier one) but you probably read all the comments about Fage 0% and 2%. I have developed a serious relationship with Fage and I think we're in love. I love it with vanilla, toasted almonds and a little sweetener. And if you haven't looked at David Lebovitz's other recipes you should!

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/index.html

Sara said...

I didn't use Fage. I used Greek Gods. Do you think there's a difference?

David Lebovitz is amazing, but you know how intimidated I get. His stuff looks a little out of my league but I'll try one of his simpler recipes. As soon as I get over my Cooking Light phase. Thanks for the tip!

Jennifer said...

I tried the Greek Gods vanilla cinnamon orange flavor (I know it sounds gross but was oddly tasty) and I didn't like the texture as much as the Fage-even the 0%, which is the one I use. Fage is so thick and creamy it's almost like frosting.

Carie said...

Yummy! Maybe you should host ice cream day at your house! No one really goes so i won't have to share with anyone.