
Maybe you're thinking these granola bars look pretty and delicious (which they are) and you're wondering why I count them among my baking failures. Read on. And sadly yes, the 2008 designation is necessary as my first attempt at making granola bars last summer was truly for the birds. Let's start there. I followed
Alton Brown's recipe exactly as he wrote it...a little too exactly perhaps. Did you know that you can buy raw sunflower seeds unshelled? Well, I didn't and that's why I ended up making suet instead. I tried again using the correct kind of sunflower seeds, but the bars weren't sticking together so it was basically just granola. Good tasting, but not what I was looking for.
Moving on to this year, I found this
granola bar recipe the other day. She outlines every step and makes a note of using waxed paper to press the granola into the pan so that it all sticks together. When I read that, I thought I found the answer to my problem, but here's what happened:

Thus began The Great Granola Bar Debacle of 2008. I'm keeping this recipe because it really is tasty, but my advice is to
generously spray the waxed paper with cooking spray. I saved the batch but it took about 45 minutes of combing the top, bottom and sides very carefully to make sure every little piece of waxed paper was removed.
1 comment:
But isn't looking good the most important thing? Next you'll be making your own graham crackers!
Post a Comment