Saturday, July 19, 2008

DIY

Now, I would never encourage you to bake your own sandwich bread, graham crackers or Triscuits. If you go through those items as fast as we do, there's something to be said for convenience. On the other hand, some grocery items are easy, delicious, and kind of fun to do yourself. My latest addiction is baked tortilla chips. I was strolling through Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market (a new grocery store in the Phoenix area and my favorite place to food shop) a few months ago and they had 36 mini corn tortillas for $.32. I'm not a big fan of corn tortillas; I think they're rubbery and coarse and I prefer flour any day. But, I love bargains, so I bought them thinking maybe I could bake them into chips. Best 32 cents I ever spent.


Here's the recipe. Sure it's easier to pick up a bag of chips, and I still do, but when I have a few extra minutes I take the time to do it myself. There's nothing like salsa on freshly baked chips.

(In addition to salsa, my family loves hummus on tortilla chips. I tried making my own hummus and the consistency was all wrong. It was like that paste you used in kindergarten. If you have a good classic hummus recipe, share it with me please!)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You're so crafty over there. Next time I call you Martha I don't think you can argue.

Sara said...

Oh please. I'm throwing store-bought tortillas in the oven. You're the one who's growing your own produce, Martha! :)

PapPap said...

I love home made nacos. Do you salt them when they are hot? How about a good receipt for salsa?

Sue said...

I guess I'll have to proofread Bob's comments, hopefully he was just in a hurry. Sue