The team's last race of the season was held at White Tank Mountain Regional Park, which is on the far west side of Phoenix. Brian and I took the Airstream out there on Friday morning because we didn't reserve a site in the campground there. We were planning to camp right at the race venue lot, so we wanted to arrive early to get a good spot. Then Brian stayed to help set up the infield from noon to 4 pm, and I made the hour drive back home. I got there just in time to get the kids from school, shower, and head on back. Little bit of a nutty day, but it ended up working for the best.
The junior high kids raced on Saturday, but I don't have any photos because I volunteered during that race. I was "finish line support" which basically meant I helped the race recorder look for the "sweeps" and held a pole in the middle of the track. A sign on the pole had arrows to finish or do another lap. I'm glad I did this for the junior high race and not boys varsity because standing there is a lot intimidating. I closed my eyes a few times thinking I was going to get run over. "This is it, Sara!" hahaha
Anyway, this last race on Sunday I didn't use the camera all that much. I tried to take it all in, I guess. But I did manage a few shots, and Nicholas's dad didn't give us his photos yet, so I don't think I'll break the blog again.
Here's the start of Nicholas's race. I hiked way, way, way out so I could get the mountain views, and right before the race started these kids moved into my shot. Teenagers!
That's Nicholas's mom on the right.
Next up was Elizabeth.
The whole field was there again, so she didn't medal. But she did give the team our most exciting finish yet! Grace was in 7th place here, and Elizabeth was in 8th, and the finish line was very, very close.
She rode past the pit and we were all going nuts. The guy across the way works with Brian. His kids are on the Desert Vista team, and he was going nuts for Elizabeth, too!
It was very close. The finish line is where the American flag is. She might have caught her if she hadn't had to leave the line and ride through the softer, pebbly rocks, but it sure was fun to watch!
Joseph had another tough race and was pulled after his third lap. He was scheduled to do four.
Overall, it was a great weekend and a nice ending to the season. We had another team dinner in the pit on Saturday night, and many families stayed for that. I took containers of baked beans and six pounds of pulled pork out of the freezer left over from GiGi's 100th birthday party, and everyone raved about it. Like so many things this year, it all just worked out. We still have a team party on December 3rd to look forward to, but there is no doubt that we're all going to miss this until next July.
No comments:
Post a Comment