Thursday, October 6, 2016

Pumpkin Spice Everything

...except lattes. Because those are ew.

Most people start going crazy over all things pumpkin as soon as September hits, but here in Hades it's still close to 100 degrees daily until we round the corner into October. So last week, I decided to be more optimistic about the weather changing soon--soon. it's gotta be soon--and bought some pumpkin. All the store had left was the big can, though. I guess everyone else was in the mood, too. I figured, "Oh what the heck," and bought it anyway.

The kids and I were easy like Sunday morning and made some pumpkin pancakes over the weekend, but that used only six tablespoons of that giant can of pumpkin. Ever since then, we've been making more and more pumpkin treats. Which led to pumpkin maple pecan granola on Monday. I've been enjoying that for breakfast over yogurt this week. Then we made some pumpkin oat streusel muffins for morning snacks. Those really hit the spot after our bike ride yesterday morning. I "healthed up" the muffins a bit by using applesauce instead of oil and subbing half with white flour with whole wheat flour. I also slightly cut the brown sugar. No one noticed and the next time I make them I'll halve the brown sugar.

This morning, I decided to use up the last cup of pumpkin and make this pumpkin bread. We haven't tried it yet as it's our dessert for this evening, but it smelled glorious as it baked. I'm tempted to top it with this yummy-sounding glaze. We'll see. But probably. Most likely. I think I'm talking myself into it as I type.

Are you having your own gourd festival? Tell me. I'm up for new recipes.

No comments: