Disclaimer: This is not a kind post.
Yesterday I received an email from that leader announcing the plan for the fall hike. It's this Saturday. Oh, well thanks for the notice! It's not at Wind Cave. It's at South Mountain's Fat Man's Pass. That's a nice destination, but it's four miles long and there's not a lot to see on the way. Also, they're meeting at the younger kids' hiking area (some 2-mile trek that's likely really boring because there aren't too many destination hikes at South Mountain) and carpooling up to Dobbins Lookout with the older kids. The most shocking part? They are meeting at 3 pm.
First of all, the forecast is sunny and 94 degrees on Saturday. So starting a hike at the hottest part of the day is just about the worst idea that guy ever had. And he's had many. Second, not everyone is going to arrive at 3:00 and he herds people at a snail's pace, so they'll be lucky to leave with the carpool by 3:30. Once they get to the lookout, the boys will want to look out. This hike may start at 4:00. Mark my words, they are going to run out of daylight.
I have a hunch he didn't read any of the boys' proposals and that he knew all along what the hike was going to be. Because this plan sounds like something that would come from his brain.
I have little faith this will be fun, and I'm so glad we're not going to be around for this disaster.
No comments:
Post a Comment