Matthew recently brought home an assignment to create an ancient people dwelling. The dwelling could be from the ancient Americans (Aztecs, Incas, or Mayans) or ancient Arizonans (Anasazi, Hohokom, or Mogollon). Parents dislike these kinds of projects just about as much as the students do, yet this project was labeled as a "Family Activity." What's that now? Nope!
I don't care that the projects will be displayed in the library, and I don't care that moms enjoy outdoing each other by going to Michael's and buying all kinds of supplies to make their kid's project an exact replica of someone else's that they found on Pinterest. I'm certain that's not the point, so I firmly believe the teachers should discontinue labeling these projects as family activities because that only encourages some parents to take over while the student learns nothing.
Well not my kid, and you can judge my fourth grader's project all you want. Just understand that it was completed by a fourth grade boy and not a forty year old woman, and that's why it looks like this:
You know what he got? An A. And he learned. Though I did not help him create this "Anasazi" dwelling, I did help him use the Internet to answer the required questions for his accompanying paragraph. His paragraph is below, and the most important fact we both learned is that we should not call these people Anasazi. So let's quit that.

1 comment:
I think he did a great job and he can bask in the glory of his own accomplishment. I could not agree with you more that the assignments should be intended to build knowledge and confidence in the student and not a competition for the parents. It seems the only thing accomplished in that case is a frustrated student trying to meet mom/dad's expectations. Tell Matt he did a great job and I liked the model.
Post a Comment