Saturday, April 23, 2016

This is Me Not Caring

About once a week, I wipe down the kitchen and bathrooms. Then I dust and vacuum the family room and bedrooms. Afterwards, I vacuum and steam the tile floor (okay, maybe I do that every other week). The point is, I do my best to keep this place neat and tidy. But then there's the big area in the middle of our home, the space just beyond our entryway, the room we ridiculously call The Toy Room.

I hate it.

Last week when my family asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I remember saying, "I just want all these Legos picked up." They must have thought I was kidding. Though we had a great time last Sunday seeing sights and enjoying the outdoors, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enter our house, see that mess, and wish they had just cleaned up the stupid room. Maybe they thought it would be less work to go out and buy a cake and a book and take me for a drive. Seriously? They wouldn't have had to leave the house or spend any money. I guess they'd rather do anything else than clean up that room, too. But I refuse to do it.

I feel if I take care of every other domestic duty, then they should at least take care of that area. Just pick it up. Put stuff away. What is so damn hard?

Today, as I was straightening the kitchen and family room while making sure to switch some laundry loads and fold clean clothes, I decided to not care about that room anymore. If I'm the only one bothered by it, then maybe I should act like the rest of them and not care either. But let's get real. There's going to be a point when I can't take it any longer because we can't find Matthew's library books and we need to leave for school in two minutes or I'm in a hurry and have to walk through the room but can't see the floor so I end up hurting myself by stepping on seventeen Legos. So I'll blow up, yell, and scream about how no one cares about how we live except me and if that's the case then I should just not care either.

Just like what happened fifteen minutes ago. It's a vicious cycle. I only wish cleaning the toy room was one of the rotations of that cycle.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Sara,I know what you mean, and this sounds like me when the boys were little. I will have to say, the boys were pretty good about picking up, but I also made them do it. Somehow I see E doing a better job of it than M. Just remember that E will be gone in 5 short years and M soon to follow. Take my word for it, it goes fast!! Your playroom is in a bad location, because you can't just close the door on it. Just know that in 9 years you will sit back and look at a spotless room and wish there were a Lego or two to step on!!