Monday, April 18, 2016

Feeling a Little Threatened

Recently, another mom at school got her substitute teaching certificate, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not afraid I'll lose out on assignments. I'll be the first to admit that anyone can do this job. Really. As long as you have a bachelor's degree in anything, you qualify as a sub. Maybe she even saw me doing it and thought, "Well if she can do it, I can do it," and that's fine because it's true. Also true is that I know there are more jobs than I can take, so I need to just get over this. Perhaps the competition will make me try harder and become better. Isn't that the argument for charter schools? I think so.

Regardless, I'm finding myself a little threatened by her presence. Then I wonder how I can be so defensive of my turf when it's not even my turf? I also hate when a jealous wave comes over me and I find myself hoping she's a terrible sub so that they won't ask her to come back. These feelings are unexpected and confusing, and every time they come I try to push them away and continue on with walking through the office or down the hall, saying kind hellos to her and asking her how her day is going. Because I know firsthand how much subs enjoy smiles from others and, well, just being acknowledged. There is plenty of work for the both of us (and the hundreds of other active subs out there), so I know I need to quit feeling like that and be happy I have a true peer at our school.

No comments: