Friday, January 15, 2016

A High Note

For the past two days, I've subbed for an orchestra teacher. I enjoy taking music assignments because I love hearing the kids play and I get to travel to a few schools throughout the day. Seeing more places and more kids is exciting.

I started both days at Matthew's school and, while their orchestra has only five kids, we had a lot of fun in such a low-key setting. The teacher left the full music for me, so I played along on the piano with them today (after practicing yesterday), and it went swimmingly. I'm proud to say that those were not two wasted days for them.

The second school I went to had very well-behaved students, and they were fun to lead and listen to. I'm so glad this teacher leaves the music; I can better conduct and correct when needed. It's elementary music, so even though I can't play a violin, viola, cello, or bass, I know enough that the kids have no idea that I can't. I never thought I was a good actress, but I've gotten a lot better at conducting and teaching music since my first go at it. And I'm not bad at all for thirty to sixty minutes at a time.

At the last school, which is a junior high (Gasp!), the kids came in, tuned, did a worksheet on defining musical terms, and then we rehearsed their new songs. The tuning went fine, I was able to help some kids with the worksheet, I let them practice in sections for a bit, and then we played together for about twenty minutes. It went better than I expected it would, and I wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought I would be.

Yesterday, the junior high had a fire drill so we didn't get to rehearse together, and I was okay with that. However, I was not okay with losing my class during the fire drill. Those are not the same as in elementary school; the alarm went off and the kids flew out the door. By the time I turned off the lights, only a few kids were left. I tried to follow them, but I found myself rushed through a sea of people, half of whom were bigger than I. So when our herd finally stopped, it took me a good five frantic minutes to locate at least one of the kids I had met only twenty minutes ago. All 32 were there, as I informed the man who drove by on a golf cart, and when the noise stopped all was well.

During one of the junior high classes today, the choir teacher who shares that room sat at her desk for a bit. While the kids were working, she complimented me and asked for my name. "So you're a music teacher then?" No, but I play one sometimes.

The highlight of this assignment might have been this afternoon when I had the eighth grade chamber orchestra. It's probably the closest I'll get to conducting the Boston Pops. They were awesome. We made it through three entire pieces, and I was even able to follow along without getting lost. Ha! One of the songs they played was this. But that's not us. :) By measure three I was thinking, Oh I know this!



It was a fantastic two days, and I hope to have more opportunities to "teach" music. I've had many fun and productive days with orchestras, bands, and in general music classes, too. It's notable I'm not a sub you have to leave a video for. And any music teacher who knows I sub yet rolls the dice to end up with just anyone can go suck an egg.

1 comment:

PapPap said...

Awesome. Mrs. Nakai's Opus?