Sunday, October 4, 2015

Ready to Roll


This morning we brought home the Airstream. If you know us, you know this had to be quite an ordeal. Nothing is easy with us. We must over-analyze and over-complicate things. In our defense, all we want is to do the right thing the first time. That takes patience.

Thankfully, it's Sunday and all we had was time. Lining up the truck with the hitch wasn't difficult to do, but newbie hitchers move methodically and slowly. There's a lot to consider, a lot to measure, a lot to remember, and a lot that could go wrong. Plus, an uneven gravel surface at the RV storage lot isn't the best place to set up your ideal towing system. So, we did the best we could for the five-mile ride home, but it wasn't the smoothest. Everything was fine, but I learned porpoise can be a verb. We were, however, able to set things right in the comfort of our own street.

I also wiped down the inside of the trailer, opened all the windows, and the kids and I sat in it for about an hour while Brian went shopping for a new tool he needed. We even entertained a neighbor! I guess our other neighbors were unimpressed as they just waved or picked up their paper or drove into their driveways and shut the garage door behind them as though there wasn't something bright and shiny right in front of their eyes. It's fine. It's not like we have block parties or anything. Whatevs.

After we got the hitch set up in the ideal position (or what we believe and hope is), we headed to the empty college parking lot to practice our driving skills. We worked on our backing-up routine (Brian drives, I direct), turning corners, and testing the manual trailer brake that we hope we'll never need to pull.

We brought it back home, looked over a few more details and systems, and then we took to the highway bound for GiGi's house. If you think we're excited about this, you should see GiGi. She and Grandpa owned several motor homes and trailers over the course of their time together, so I think all this is making her a bit nostalgic. She even gave us her old trailer-sized coffee maker, toaster, heater, and snacks for our first trip.

It was a long day, but we got a lot accomplished and gained some confidence. The plan is to not be newbies for much longer. Here are many photos from our productive day. And those of you who are sick of hearing about this Airstream, well sorry. This is big news so you're just going to have to deal.

"Dad, what you need to do is this."

Matthew was actually quite helpful, especially as a spotter. His voice really projects.


Almost the whole way home, I looked in my mirror to make sure the trailer was still there and not tipping over.

Does Elizabeth look nervous?

carefully carefully, Airstream Driver

Home!

Matthew "making lunch"

It was a little warm.

so happy

trying out the screen door

Not only am I driving a Sequoia, I'm towing an Airstream!

our rig

GiGi giving her seal of approval

Surprisingly, it was her first time in an Airstream.

another pretty cool day

1 comment:

PapPap said...

Wow. Everything really looks good. Everyone looks serious and ready to go. I assume you will be doing some camping. I bet everyone is excited. Congratulations and be careful. I love the Sequoia.