Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sit Down and Shut Up

This afternoon I went to the first of four Parent Advisory Council meetings at the school district's administrative offices. A parent representative from each school sits in on a meeting with the superintendent once per quarter. It's a way for the higher-ups to connect with parents, and our superintendent does most of the talking. She has a presentation prepared, we listen, and she opens it up to questions or concerns. I say nothing yet enjoy observing the parents who are apparently unable to say nothing.

The only time I do speak is when she requests that we introduce ourselves by stating our name, the school we are representing, and mentioning any other schools our children may be attending or have attended. I say those three things. Then I marvel at some of the other parents who have so much more to say. Such as:
  • I've been involved in every other volunteer opportunity at the school, so naturally the  principal asked me if I would be on this council, too.
  • I'm also on the booster club board. My wife and I are the booster club. And I teach Art Masterpiece to, oh, about eight classes.
There were more, but I can't remember their exact words. Rest assured, any additional information suggested that we should all bow down to their awesomeness.

We're all volunteers. Yes, principals know us, know we care about our children's education, know we are interested in supporting our school, know we don't have a steady day job, and that's why we were asked to be there. But thanks for letting us know you are a super volunteer, lady. You too, booster club president and Art Masterpiece teaching extraordinaire. You're most definitely better than the rest of us.

The superintendent is a class act, so she was patient, gracious, and appreciative with her thanks. Now that's worth bowing down to.

2 comments:

John Bee said...

What the heck is an Art Masterpiece teacher?

Sara said...

AZ ranks lowest in funding per student, so one of the first things deleted from the curriculum was art. Now, parent volunteers fill the void by teaching six art lessons over the course of the year. I did this a few times for my kids' classes. Mom even did a lesson once when Matt was in kindergarten. :) But I didn't mention it in my introduction at the meeting yesterday. I'm flabbergasted that people who are in the same room with people just like them feel the need to point out that they are that much better than the rest of us because____. Honestly, I feel embarrassed for them.