Wednesday, September 2, 2015

An Interesting Fact

I had a few moments to kill before my PE classes at school began this morning, so I helped with some copying. Then I decided to look through the teacher favorites book in the office and read everyone's last line. Here they were to include an interesting, unknown fact about themselves. Some were, in fact, interesting, such as the teacher who backpacked the fifty-mile Maryland portion of the Appalachian Trail in high school, while others were rather boring: I like sports. Some facts weren't news: I was a Buddy Holly impersonator and used to know Michael Buble. Yawn. I already knew that. Then others either didn't want to try or truly are not interesting at all and left it blank. Honestly, I felt too many left it blank.

Then I began to wonder what I would have written? I, too, would have been tempted to ignore the question because it required energy and effort, but then I'd be concerned I'd appear uninteresting. And I'm interesting, darn it!

But what would I say? I completed a marathon? I did a triathlon in the ocean? Nah. If those don't come across as bragging, then those accomplishments would probably be seen as something everyone else does in their thirties. So. Not. Interesting. Then what else is there?

I used to play the piano really well?

I hardly (not heartily) play guitar now? 

I met Mr. Rogers when I was in college?

I found myself really grasping, so I decided to go with humor. So this is what I came up with.

I have an intense fear of these guys:


Those wind sock guys, wind puppets, air dancers--whatever you want to call them--make me anxious. Their unpredictable movements cause extreme unease. It's probably a control thing. I just don't know what they're doing or where they're going next. They're as bad as jazz. I just can't handle them.

Now you know.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Too funny! The exact reasons you don't like them are the reasons I love them. I laugh every time I drive by one! We all perceive things differently! Meg hates clowns! The reason they are a little creepy to me, is that I always get the feeling when I see a clown, behind that huge smiley face, is one that is NOT smiling!

PapPap said...

Sara: May I suggest some one liners appropriate for you. 1. Senator Joe Lieberman helped me with my bags and children. 2. I have/held a Series 7 license (to work in a brokerage). 3. I did an Ironman(woman) and finished. 4. I have two of the best children on the planet. There is a difference between accomplishments and bragging.

Sara said...

Joe Lieberman! Yes! Love that guy!