Thursday, February 5, 2015

Boring Stories of Glory Days

Often when my kids and I are driving around town, we're listening to music. Elizabeth took the Taylor Swift CD to her room, much to Matthew's delight, so now we're back to the radio. I toggle between a few favorite stations. There's the one that plays trending music, the one that plays the best of the 70s through today, the classic rock station, the one with my adult contemporary favorites, and the station that I call the guitar channel because, well, it tends to feature guitar-heavy tracks.

I probably annoy my kids (or very soon will start to) when a song comes on and I share my "boring stories of glory days." In fact, that song might have started it all. It came on the radio a while ago and I said to the kids, "I remember the first time I heard this song! I was in second grade and at my friend Jennifer's birthday party at the roller rink. Everyone screamed when it came on, and by the time the chorus began I understood why. Man, this is a good song." Matthew ignored me, and Elizabeth said I was weird. I already know that though, so that's why I continue to do this.

Tonight, on the way home from piano lessons, I stopped on a Red Hot Chili Peppers' song because just the other day we were discussing their Super Bowl halftime show at dinner. So I pointed out that that's who was singing. They weren't impressed, but then the next song came on and it was "Fight for Your Right" by Beastie Boys. On cue, I told them this song was popular when I was Elizabeth's age, and they listened and laughed. At first I was worried I might be corrupting them, but then I remembered that right after school today I introduced them to "Mr. Tambourine Man." These songs may be completely different, but they're both classics. So is Pearl Jam's "Alive" which also prompted a "This song was out when I was in high school" from me, and later when "One Headlight" came on my kids learned that song was written by the "Mr. Tambourine Man" guy's son.

I'm full of what some may call useless information to share, but I grew up with a similar kind of commentary. And look at me now! haha Well, at the very least, you better believe my kids will never be praising Kanye West for discovering Sir Paul McCartney. :)

No comments: