Saturday, December 27, 2014

A Kitchen Experiment

Brian and Matthew are cooking dinner. In order to earn a cub scout badge, Matthew has to plan and fix a complete dinner, set the table, and serve it to us. When I asked Matthew what he wanted to make he wasn't sure, so I tried to encourage him.


Me: Well what do I make that you like?

Matt:  Nothing.

Me: Okaaaaay. What would you like to learn how to make?

Matt: Orange chicken!

Me: Well, that sounds difficult and I don't know how to make that.

Brian: I can find a recipe.

Me: Great! You kids have fun.

They soon learned that orange chicken done the way Matthew wanted it (the Panda Express way, of course) was a little too complicated, so they settled on a spicy shrimp noodle bowl instead. I was really looking forward to not having to cook tonight, but Brian has come to ask me a question nearly every two minutes for the last twenty. Geez oh man. At this rate, my Mild: Lost to Found on the Wind Cave Trail blog will never get written!

What is a clove of garlic? The big thing or just a section of it?
How many of these Udon noodles should we cook?
Do you just cut this garlic into little pieces?
How do I thaw this shrimp?
Do we have garlic salt? Use garlic powder. I see onion powder. Keep looking.
Do we have cornstarch? In the pantry.
Three quarter cups of brown sugar seems like a lot of sugar. Is that right?
What temperature do I cook these shrimp on?
It says three carrots. I used twelve baby ones. Is that enough?

Sigh. Sometimes it really is easier to do it yourself. This should be interesting, at least, but I also hope it's tasty. Thankfully, cleaning up is part of the badge because they seem to be using every tool and bowl in my kitchen.

1 comment:

PapPap said...

Good job Matt. Not the easiest thing the first time. Mom. Let him do it again. He can learn to plan ahead. The more simple menus come out. Mine was hot dogs. Then he learns what to do and actually how to cook. Then he has to eat and clean up. You should encourage another night at in the future. Maybe for Gramps.