Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Songs of the Season

Much to Matthew's chagrin, Elizabeth and I have been playing 1989 in the car non-stop for two weeks. Sometimes we catch him singing along and he angrily exclaims, "Yeah, well it's because of you!" We can't help it; we love her and her music. Today I realized that I'm thirteen years older than Taylor Swift (Really? I would have guessed we were further apart than that.), and Elizabeth is fourteen years younger than her. That doesn't mean anything, really, but I thought maybe it would explain why we both like her. She's right in the middle of two generations? Sure. Okay. Maybe.

What I am certain of is that whenever I hear any of these songs over the course of my lifetime, I will come back to this time of my life. It's the soundtrack of me starting to substitute teach, going back to work, not staying home anymore, and getting back to being me again. One of the songs that she wrote with Ryan Tedder is my favorite. I know. You're all astonishment! At first I didn't like it because the repetitive "I" was off-putting, but it picks up after 40 seconds. That's all I'm going to say about it because I don't know what I'm talking about except that the minor to major change is magical. You just have to feel it. Hang on for 50 seconds. I promise. It's literally Taylor Swift-meets-OneRepublic. What's not to love? Click it and enjoy.

I Know Places

No comments: