Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Parental Advisory

I'm a member of our school district's parent advisory panel/committee/board. I can't recall the official name, and it really is nothing impressive. Every school in the district is represented by one parent who attends four meetings facilitated by the superintendent. It's essentially a public relations move for the district because they tell us what's coming up as far as bond elections, overrides, website changes, and more and expect us to pass on the information. I believe for one of the meetings we take a tour of the central kitchen, the site that makes all the meals for all the schools. I'm looking forward to that one because the two meetings so far haven't been very exciting.

This afternoon, the assistant superintendent who is responsible for every single building and parking lot in the school district performed a dog and pony show on all the reasons why an upcoming bond election (in the next year or two) should be passed. None of us was going to argue that roofs, floors, running tracks, air conditioners and more should be replaced at schools that are over twenty years old, but after sitting in that room (in the dark, right after lunch) watching a slideshow presentation on everything from asbestos to asphalt, people, please vote yes on the next bond election. Just do it.

The real entertainment in these meetings are the other attendees. As I sit down, I scan the room and predict who's going to make sure everyone knows they are there. There are always a few. Anyone who's ever been in any meeting knows what I mean. They are the people who are not only more important than you, but they know more about everything than anyone else in the room and their concerns or questions (no matter how specific and/or self-centered they are) should be addressed in front of fifty people rather than discussed one-on-one or through an email. Yes, there was some of that but, thankfully(?), his presentation ran too long for too many questions. Though as soon as he mentioned the word "asbestos" the tension rose and, naturally, one mom practically shouted, "Where? At which schools? What's wrong?" Cases like that prove that it's good the district opts to educate parents as well as children.

These meetings aren't all bad. In fact, I do enjoy going if only to be in the presence of greatness. Our superintendent is one of the most respected women in our state, and as long as she's in charge I wouldn't send my children to any other schools. She knows what she's doing, and she does it well. She's a visionary who's led the district through unprecedented growth over the past twenty years, and before that she spent another twenty years as a teacher, principal, and administrator. She's brilliant in education, business, and diplomacy, and I don't think there's another district in our state in which the school board, administrators, teachers, parents, and students work so well together. They're usually all on the same page, but when they're not they respectfully hash it out to find the best solution. She is one strong leader.

She's also quite a classy lady. I'm not sure how close to retirement she is, but she obviously takes care of herself. She has a sense of humor, and I've heard higher-ups in these meetings joke about "all the vitamins she takes." Her suits are pressed, her hair is smooth, her nails are polished, and today she was wearing the same boots I purchased last week. I rejoiced and was validated.

No comments: