This evening I went to an informational meeting for parents at a junior high we're considering for Elizabeth. It's a small school in the district that offers a rigorous, accelerated program. I think she could do well there, so we'll take a tour and she'll spend a day shadowing a student soon. We'll see how it goes and decide whether or not she will apply.
Last year I took her to the junior high we are zoned for when they had an open house, and Brian took her last week for this year's. I wasn't impressed last year, and he wasn't impressed this year. I've heard it's a good school, but I didn't feel like they did a good job telling us that. The "showcase" didn't tell us much of anything, and I left with more unanswered questions than when I'd arrived. We'll watch for more information on how things work over there with "houses, "blocks," and whatever else we don't even know we don't know.
Tonight, though, I started to feel like this other school might be a better fit for Elizabeth. It's small. The classes would challenge her, but I think she could handle the work. They wear uniforms, but she's fine with that. However, the biggest difference I can see is that the students who attend this school like to learn and like to go to school. Like Elizabeth.
Just yesterday, a teacher said to me, "I'm tired of teaching. It's the same kids doing the same bad things. I'm grateful for kids like your daughter who do what they're supposed to do and you don't have to worry that they'll do something stupid when you turn your back." Well now that I'm subbing and in lots of classrooms, I completely get that. Teachers are forced to spend far too much time disciplining, redirecting, and scolding kids who just don't want to work or be at school. It's frustrating and annoying to teachers, but the hardworking kids are the ones who suffer the most. Why should they lose out on instructional time because their teacher has to deal with the doofus over there? For that reason alone I think Elizabeth would love going to a school with kids who share her ideals.
Unless she gets there and she's the doofus. Well, it could happen. I'm not sure what kind of kids go there, so the best thing to do is check it out and see. I don't listen to hearsay or we might not have ended up at our elementary school. I'm into seeing things for myself, and so is Elizabeth. I came home and told her about it, and she's looking forward to a tour and spending a day there.
On the way home, I had an ugly cry when the realization that my baby girl is headed to junior high soon. Really. I probably should have pulled over. I've known it for a long time, but tonight it really hit me. Hard. She's going to junior high. But she's still so little! How can this be?
No comments:
Post a Comment