Wednesday, July 30, 2014

All You Need Is the Beatles

Well, for a little while at least.

Monday I finally loaded the iHeartRadio app on my phone. I was tiring of Pandora, and the radio station keeps telling me to do it. So I did it. The app immediately asked for my music preferences, so I made my selections and waited a moment for their suggestions. I didn't get far. The first recommendation was "Beatles 24/7." Seriously? Play!

I'm on my third day of all Beatles, all the time. Yes, I realize that's a lot of Beatles. I already know I have an obsessive personality, so you're not telling me anything new. I am, however, having a blast cleaning the house, reorganizing the linen closet, bathroom vanities, and sorting through my piano lesson books from twenty-five years ago all because the jobs are set to a Beatles soundtrack.

It's a good thing I'm alone all day because I'm certain others would find my antics obnoxious, and I'd end up embarrassed. The music is my spoonful of sugar. I'm not just getting through these mundane tasks; it's as though I'm hardly noticing the effort. For example, I'm hitting an imaginary cowbell on "A Hard Day's Night," screaming "Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude!," and timidly singing, "eat wild rice" because I've never been able to figure out that lyric in "Penny Lane" but am too proud to look it up, answering back with my own "yeahs" in "It Won't Be Long"--yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah--then shaking my head sideways with the riff, and trying my best (though I'm sure unsuccessfully) to harmonize with the guys on "If I Needed Someone."  I am completely lost in the music yet getting so much accomplished. I feel like I'm sailing around the bowling alley (remember that movie?) when this one comes on, but I probably look more like a leprechaun dancing. But you're not there so it's okay and I'm smiling!

No comments: