Monday, January 6, 2014

Sentimental Heart

Old habits die hard when you got, when you got a sentimental heart.  - She & Him

When I was in middle school and high school, I kept pretty much everything--programs from recitals and school events, report cards, concert tickets, notes from friends, and a myriad of tokens and trinkets from times that I didn't want to ever forget.  When I moved to Arizona my mother sent a box of all that stuff, and I put it in a closet.  When I cleaned out that closet a few months ago, I found that box and threw everything away except for my yearbooks and high school and college diplomas.  I decided I didn't want to hold on to, or store, this "junk."  One could argue that those things are meaningful, but to me it's just stuff.  As I looked through it, I remembered a few good times, smiled, and figured that that little jog to my memory will be enough to help me remember those times through the rest of my life.  And if I forget them...well, no harm done.  Right?

Say right.  Because those things are long gone and ain't never comin' back.

It's not like I'm a cold-hearted person who doesn't care; I'm just not a collector of things anymore.  (Huh.  Maybe old habits don't die as hard as She thought.)  I am sentimental about people and places and music, though.

I miss that person.  
I love this place because I have made so many pleasant memories here.
Every time I hear this song I think of _______.

People, places, and emotions don't have to be tied to material things, though.

Then there is my kids' stuff.  Is it bad that the papers they bring home from school are reviewed and quickly recycled?  Occasionally, we'll hold on to an art project for awhile, but if I held on to all of them you might see me on an episode of "Hoarders."  I have a file for each child that holds their report cards, swim lesson graduation certificates, school concert programs, and other papers like that, but I think I should go through those files soon because they are getting fat.  I should clean them out, right?

I really want an answer this time.

I can throw out my own stuff with no problem.  Lots of  people save their race numbers in boxes or even use them as wallpaper. What do I need those for?  Mine are tossed as soon as I take the pins out of my shirt.  Girl Scouts gives leaders patches at events, but mine are thrown away when I get home.  I'm not going to sew them on a shirt and wear it around.  Some leaders proudly wear their patches like their girls do, but that's not something I'd do.  A few years ago, my friend Aimee and I ran in The Color Run--you begin the race in a clean white shirt and people throw powdered color at you.  I came home, showered, and placed my shirt in the garbage bin.  Aimee stuffed her newly colored shirt in a zip-lock bag and put it in her hope chest.  Neither way is the right or wrong way, but I am starting to ask myself if I'm ever going to wish I had saved my race bibs and other stuff.  Probably not but you never know, I guess.

When it comes to my kids though, it seems like a lot of my friends keep more of their kids' things, and I'm afraid I might someday wish I had more of their art, schoolwork, or other memorable papers.  Will I ever wonder, What was that song Matthew sang in first grade?  I'm pretty sure I won't, but if I save this program then I don't have to worry about it.  On the other hand, we have a video of the concert so why do I need to keep the paper?  I don't.  Out it goes. I guess I'm only looking for the okay to not hold on to everything.  Just because other people do doesn't mean that I have to.  Or should.  I know I'll never forget my kids' highlights or my own highlights.  I'll always remember Elizabeth's first piano recital and Matthew's kindergarten graduation the same way I'll always remember my first race.  I just don't need to know what my number was.

Right?  Right?!

No comments: