I'm not any fitter, but my mind is in a much better place. I'm not punishing myself or beating myself up anymore. I speak much kinder to myself, and that's more conducive to doing anything better, including running. (Breakthrough! I should try this with guitar.) Why waste energy with negative thoughts when positive thoughts yield quicker runs and make you happy? I'm also trying very hard to stay in the moment. I don't get to Mile 1 and think, Eleven more to go. Blah. When I start to feel that way, I push those feelings away by focusing on something beautiful like the sky, a bird, a bunny, the lake, the trees--anything works and beauty surrounds. It's another opportunity to remind myself that I get to do this. If you weren't here, what would you be doing, Sara? Right. There's no better way to greet a Saturday.
At this time last year, when it started to feel tough I'd tell myself to keep going. I'd slog up and down the canal shuffling my feet and practically dragging myself along or stopping to walk only to have it feel that much harder to pick it back up to running. It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. This year, when things get tough I tell myself to keep going strong. What's the difference? Focus, concentration, and confidence. Negative thoughts enter and I push them out.
This is so hard. I know I can run.
My legs are tired. I know I can run far.
This hill is long and steep. I know I can run strong.
It is hard, but things are different now. I learned the hard way, but I learned important lessons and have changed my attitude. I'm so much tougher than I thought I was.
But all that toughness can wear a person out by the time she takes her kids to the park later that same afternoon.
This is so hard. I know I can run.
My legs are tired. I know I can run far.
This hill is long and steep. I know I can run strong.
It is hard, but things are different now. I learned the hard way, but I learned important lessons and have changed my attitude. I'm so much tougher than I thought I was.
But all that toughness can wear a person out by the time she takes her kids to the park later that same afternoon.

2 comments:
You're inspiring!
Well thanks. If you lived here I'd invite ya to Fitness with Friends, Melissa. You could start your own. I haven't TM'd it. :-) It's fun!
Post a Comment