Sunday, November 24, 2013

Winter Weight

I'm not one for weighing myself daily, weekly, or even yearly, but I believe it's safe to say that I weigh more in the winter than I do in the summer. I've heard that's pretty typical as there are several excuses reasons for a little increase.

First, the summertime is more footloose and fancy-free, while the wintertime can be pretty stressful.  Aren't we all emotional eaters to some degree?  Yes.  And during Arizona summers, sometimes you're just too hot to eat much.

Second, what am I supposed to do with a pantry full of Halloween candy? (Hint: Sara, stop eating it.)  To make matters worse, but oh so much more delicious, baked goods  will soon be coming out of my oven with the spicy fragrances of the holiday season.  I know everyone goes crazy for chocolate, but I tend to favor the flavors of cinnamon, ginger, clove, and nutmeg.  Oatmeal raisin cookies are my favorite throughout the year, but at Christmas I look forward to dark, chewy, spicy molasses cookies.  It's as though I feel I've been good the rest of the year so this is my time to really live it up.  I've earned it.

Lastly, now that it's finally getting chilly out we don't have to wear our shorts and t-shirts anymore.  Jeans, sweaters, and scarves are coming out of storage and those tend to hide ourselves better.  This morning it was 45 degrees, so I certainly didn't run in my sports bra like I had to just to make it through three measly miles in July and August, and I'm not planning trips to tropical locales anytime soon so swimsuits are shoved to the back of the drawer.  My abs are safely covered for a few months, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I really don't care what they look like.  Besides, if anyone ever tells me I've "let myself go," I will let them go.

So I'll take my winter weight and wear it well.  By the time spring rolls around, my taste buds will be tired of the sweets, and the warmer weather will encourage me to put in a better effort.  So until then, I have a lot of baking to do...starting with a pumpkin pie on Wednesday.

Let's eat!

No comments: