Tuesday, November 26, 2013
Unpopular Favorites
I heard this song on the radio today, and it made my day. Isn't it great? These are the kinds of songs I love. Love! And you don't get to hear them on the radio too often. Their "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" is a common track on classic rock stations (which is a very good thing), but it's always a treat to hear a more obscure song. I know I'm weird. It's weird to not be weird. If we base it on the music that makes me happy, you could say I was born at the wrong time as other artists I truly enjoy are The Byrds, The Monkees (because who doesn't?), and let's not forget that my guitar is named after The Kinks' "Sweet Lady Genevieve."
These favorites have not, do not, and will not ever make me popular or cool, but I'm okay with that. I like what I like because I like it. Sometimes it makes me look like an idiot, though. A long time ago, I posted a video of The Box Tops performing "The Letter" on our PTO's Facebook page. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was reminding everyone to send in their General Mills Box Tops and asked if anyone else sings this song every time they think of Box Tops. Crickets chirped. No one gets me. And that video was hilarious! It was from the sixties and looked it, they were clearly lip-syncing, not even playing their instruments, and they were trying so hard not to laugh. It was awesome and silly and lighthearted. Or so thought I. Sigh....
No matter. I don't have to defend my taste in music. These are classics for a reason. Though I am afraid my love for them is making my good friend Jennifer rethink her decision to ask me to go with her to the Justin Timberlake concert next week. I enjoy him, but I have to admit that I'm not really, really, really familiar with his music. I mean, I only know the ones on the radio. I did get his latest album and have been listening to it often. A crash-course in JT is the best version of studying. I promise not to let you down, Jennifer! I will be cool. So cool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment