I'm calling it now. Katy Perry's "Roar" will be the hot song at this year's school talent show. Though that is a long time away and something else really hot could come out before then..... The girls were singing that one, and I wondered if they could put something together as a troop. That could be cute, but I didn't say anything to them about it. Must find a way to have them come up with that idea on their own because if I suggest it, it will not be a cool idea.
On the car ride home, though, they were singing along to Sara Bareilles' "Brave." Elizabeth and I absolutely love that song. We admire Sara because she plays the piano like a boss and writes such inspired songs without all the showmanship and gimmicks other artists use. She's more like us; you know, if we were really talented like that. Ha! Elizabeth has mentioned that she might want to sing "Brave" in the talent show with her friends, and I told her that would be a most excellent idea. I wish you could have heard those three girls singing that song from the backseat. Their high, little voices were bringing out such meaningful and empowering lyrics. I was feeling it. Their words were anything but empty and they showed me how big their brave is! If you're not familiar with the song, the lyrics are right here and they are definitely worth a look. These are exactly the kind of words young girls should have repeating through their minds. The moment was unbelievably touching and really beautiful.
Today I heard both these songs relatively close together, and I thought they sounded a lot alike. Apparently, I am not the first person on the face of the earth who has noticed. A quick search on YouTube tells me there is a controversy over whether or not Katy stole Sara's idea (have I been in a cave?), but there are also many, many mash-ups of these two songs. Perfect! We can divide up the troop into two groups--one covering "Brave" and the other covering "Roar"--and they'll switch back and forth and then come together towards the end. Cool, huh? This mix is awesome, even though it's two guys and we're not arguing over which song is better; we love them both! We could use it, but I wish they were girls or sang in a higher key. I dig this mash-up, too. I don't think it would work for this vision but...wow. They are really good. There's plenty of time and probably new YouTube mash-ups on the way. I'll keep looking.
I am stoked! But don't tell my girls. They haven't thought of their great "Katy Perry/Sara Bareilles Roar Bravely" idea yet. Shhhhh.
No comments:
Post a Comment