I just got home, soaked my feet in hot water, and am now sipping hot chocolate. Only an hour ago I was on a fifth grade field trip to the American Heritage Festival at a farm in Queen Creek. It would have been a really good time and a great experience, but it was rainy, muddy, and after a couple hours in the elements we all got pretty cold and had to cut our trip short.
It seems it never rains in Arizona unless there is an outdoor field trip planned. I don't know how many zoo trips have been cancelled over the years, but this trip was nonrefundable because the festival was to go on whether rain or shine. So we were going! I had a feeling we weren't in for the best time because the forecast was 59 degrees with a 100% chance of rain. Plus, field trips never go as planned even in good weather.
The district's transportation department always has some sort of snafu. Sometimes the buses are late; sometimes they break down. One time, we went to another school to pick up students and sat there for ten minutes until the driver heard from Dispatch that we were not to pick up a group at that school. What? Does anyone know what's going on over there? Well today, they sent one bus for three classes of kids, teachers, and parent chaperones. So three friends and I took my car, which wasn't a bad idea because bus rides are rowdy and noisy and the farm was 45 minutes away. We followed the bus (driven by a crazy bus driver, by the way, who forced me to go through a red light and two yellows to keep up with her). I'm sorry, Officer, but I was told it was very important that I stay with that bus!
It sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm simply stating facts. It wasn't bad once we got there because it wasn't really raining at first. It was misty and cloudy and cool, but we were able to walk around the the exhibits and hear from the "actors," or whatever you want to call these history enthusiasts. After nearly a day of rain, though, the fields were pretty muddy and there wasn't enough straw in the world to cover all the walkways. Some spots were better than others, but there was literally no way of getting around some muddy spots without walking through them. After we watched a Revolutionary War battle, which was nothing more than people pretending to shoot each other and them falling over (Yay! Super fun! I love guns!), we stood there and ate our lunch. Then the torrential downpour began.
There was nothing to do but stand there and wait for the teacher to text me to take the kids back to the bus. Elizabeth and I had ponchos, but the two other girls in our group had nothing but a light jacket/umbrella and a hooded sweatshirt. I shouldn't judge other parents, but if you know your kid is going to be outside in the cold and rain, don't you think sending something waterproof would be a good idea? I gave her my umbrella, but that only does so much. They were so wet and so chilled. It started to get not-so-fun for them pretty quickly. Another mom ran into us, and she said they were going back to the bus so we went with them. I got my kids on the bus and as soon as my friends brought their groups to the bus, we left.
When we got back to the school, I dropped off my friends at their cars, parked, and signed us all out of the school. As I was leaving, the bus arrived and I saw Elizabeth's teacher hosing off the kids' muddy shoes as they exited the bus. She hates messes. The kids have to bring in cookies for their birthdays because "cupcakes are too messy." The mud today is probably killing her. I feel bad for her.
So that was then and this is now. I'm dry, cozy, and warm and plan to stay that way. I am glad home is in Arizona and not Seattle.
No comments:
Post a Comment