My soul sister turned sole sister, Aimee, ran seven miles today. It's the farthest she's ever run so this was a landmark day. She's training for her first half marathon in January, so there are quite a few more days like today in store for her. It's so exciting! I don't remember when I ran seven miles for the first time, but I do remember my first 10K (6.2 miles) that took me an hour and two minutes. I couldn't get over the fact that I had run for over an hour straight. A whole hour! It's cool to reach new milestones and feel that sense of accomplishment and pride, but I think it's almost better to watch a close friend reach them. Hard work does pay off, and I know she's working hard at this. Really hard.
I ran seven miles at the park today, too, but we run at different paces so we go our separate ways and meet up when we're both finished. The trails twist and turn and overlap each other and there are also a few hills where you can get a better view of the park. While we were out there running, I happened upon her a few times from afar. I saw her through the trees, she passed by a trail I was on, and I saw her as I was coming down a hill. She didn't see me, but I could tell she was having a good run. She looked strong and happy, and it made me happy and stronger. The girl was doing it!
I know she was nervous about today's run. New distances can be scary. But I also knew that she had it in her. She has so much more in her, too. If I wasn't confident of that, I never would have suggested a half marathon to her in the first place. She likes to tell people that I talked her into this race, but the truth is, I didn't have to twist her arm at all. She really wants it and she's going after it. And in less than two months, she's going to have it! She's also going to have lots of people celebrating with her--her husband, her boys, her mom and dad, and lots of friends, but you better believe I'll be the one at the finish line cheering the loudest.
No comments:
Post a Comment