Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Giving Mindful Eating a Try

Okay folks. I think I've got a handle on the exercise thing. I love doing it. If I don't do it then I miss it and I feel crappy. But exercise and eating right go hand in hand and I could use a little help in the nutrition department. So in order to get myself to my best self possible, I'm keeping my fitness plan the way it is and upping the anty on what I eat, how I eat it, and pledging to keep track of it. Right here. My mother started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and has lost 8 pounds already. We were talking the other day and she said that writing down everything that you eat is really eye-opening. I'm sure it is! I can tell you what I ate for my meals yesterday but I couldn't tell you how many times I mindlessly walked into the pantry and grabbed a pretzel or piece of candy or a handful of chocolate chips (seriously!) because I was stressed out, obsessing over something, sad, or angry. Why do we do that? Wouldn't it feel better to overcome that? A few weeks ago I completely cut refined sugars from my diet for ten days. It was challenging at times, but physically I never felt better. I actually felt slimmer but that's probably 95% mental. After just 3 days, I wasn't craving sweets so much anymore. I had this streak going and I wasn't going to end it over a Skittle, was I? I felt in control, which is pretty fulfilling since there are so many things in life we can't control. Then one ice cream sandwich treat on a Friday evening led to a few margaritas at a party the next night, some cake and, well, then the whole streak was over. Notably, my emotions took a turn for the worst too, and yesterday's rest day combined with a salt water taffy gift felt like a new low. I can't stay down long. I'm looking up! With a little inspiration from my mother, I'm going to share right here everything I eat daily. Boring for you? Perhaps. But if you've read this far on this post, you must be bored already. I've been keeping track of my workouts on Daily Mile for a year and the incentive of posting a workout on there is enough to get me doing something, anything. I'm thinking that the thought of publically posting a pantry binge will be enough to keep me from doing it. At the very least, it should make me think twice before going for the wrong food at the wrong time. I pledge to be completely honest and post EVERYTHING I eat each day. Here we go!

No comments: