Saturday, March 6, 2010

My First Official Run

There I am! Looking for the finish.

My first 5K run really wasn't bad. Cardio agrees with me when I have a cold, and the entire time I was running I didn't cough. When I stopped...well, that's another story. But I'm sticking with my cold as the excuse for why I wasn't able to finish with a faster time.

Those of you who run probably don't think 3 miles is a big deal. It is to me, though. Remember, I've been running for only three months. It's challenging for me to run for 30 minutes and I had to run for longer than that today. 37:16 to be exact. My body felt fine; I just couldn't catch my breath so I had to slow down and walk three times. Some of that had to do with trying to keep up with the pack. Running in a race is a lot different than running solo around the neighborhood. When everyone takes off at the start, I was tempted to run faster. I checked the Garmin and I was going at a pace that I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain--11 minute miles--but when I slowed down to 12 minute miles, it seemed like everyone was passing me. And I have a huge fear of being last.

So, this was a good learning experience. Next time I'll start off at my own pace and probably pass the people who started out too fast. Also, I'm going to keep on with my training and see if I can push myself a little harder to increase my speed.
Here's a picture of Jill and me after the race.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Woo Hoo! You rock!!!

John Bee said...

Way to go Sara! We're very proud of you. I knew a sore shin wouldn't prevent Lindsey Vonn from winning gold, and a little cold wouldn't stop you from finishing the race.

windee said...

Way to go Sara! that's awesome.. pretty soon you'll be doing a 200 mile relay race (hint.. hint)

Sara said...

I'd just slow you guys down, Windee.