Friday, February 19, 2010

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

I haven't been baking much lately. It's a combination of being way too busy with everything else and the fact that I was becoming too doughy myself. Hence the increased enthusiasm for exercise. But I did decide to bake some Valentine's Day treats for my family. Except no one really liked them. Okay, Brian and I like them, but the kids do not. Apparently my children are not sophisticated enough for shortbread and dark chocolate. Good shortbread and good dark chocolate, that is. These are very grown up cookies.

I used Martha Stewart's recipe for Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Hearts. They are delicious and so simple. However, because they are so simple, you should use good butter. I like Challenge. For the chocolate, I used a 70% Lindt Excellence bar. The shortbread just melts in your mouth and the dark chocolate is...well it's dark chocolate. Every cookie is better with dark chocolate! And as you can see in the photos, I was a little more generous with my chocolate than Martha.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

at least you didn't say anything preposterous like Martha did on her recipe: "chocolate is optional".
whatever!

Sara said...

Michelle, I didn't even notice that part. Absurd!