I had been against running for so long that it really surprised me when I began considering starting a running regimen. I always favored walking over running; I convinced myself that walking was better for my body because there's less impact. And while that's probably true, I was pretty tired of walking. I wanted to stay as active as I was while training for the 3-Day, but I was ready to try something new. And watching Elizabeth excel at running club was all the inspiration I needed.
Jennifer did the nine week Couch-to-5K training program a few months ago and she successfully completed a 5K race. I found a race at least nine weeks out (the Chandler Ostrich Festival 5K) and decided to give it a try. I found a training partner two doors down who was just as willing to start running. Jill and I run three times a week now. We're in Week 5 of the Couch-to-5K running plan. Yesterday we ran 8 minutes, walked 5 minutes, and ran another 8 minutes. Our next time out we have to run for 20 minutes straight. I'm not going to lie; I'm a little nervous about it. But I've been surprised at how easily my body accepts the challenges of this plan.
If you've always wanted to try running but weren't sure how to start, I recommend Couch-to-5K. The challenge to rest ratio is just perfect for beginners. Every week is different and sometimes even the days in one week are different. Your training is always changing so you don't get bored, and the difficulty from week to week might sound exponential to your mind, but it's gradual to your body. You'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment